How to Download Kindle Book Updates
From time to time I publish revisions and corrections to my books on Amazon. At times, I even publish completely new editions, of a book. Usually I make the updates available for free where someone has purchased an earlier edition.
In this brief article I want to share the process for accessing an update to a Kindle book. I’ve broken this down into a series of steps below. If this fails for you, be sure to read the additional information at the end of the article.
Steps to Downloading Kindle Book Updates
- Go to the Amazon site and log-in before following the instructions below.
- Place your mouse over the “Your Account” menu drop-down. This is on the top right hand side of the screen where it says “Your Account”. You can see an example in the screenshot below.
- Select the “Manage Your Content and Devices” option from the drop-down list.
- You will then see a page displaying all the Kindle books in your personal library. This list defaults to the order you purchased the books, but you can change this. There’s also a helpful search box top right which can save you scrolling through lots of books.
- In the list, locate the book you want to update. You should see a button to the right side of any book which has an update available, as shown below.
- Click the button to display the update dialog as shown below.
- When you click the Update button the new version of your book is sent to your Kindle or Kindle Reader software.
Can’t Find the Kindle Book Update
Recently Amazon Kindle support advised me that they don’t always show the “Update Available” button. A key factor in determining this appears to be the level of change in the book. If the new version of a book has a lot of changes over the previous version, they might hide the “Update” button. This is to minimise the risk of someone losing any notes they may have saved to a book.
In these instances, Amazon advised you should contact their help desk and ask them to make the latest version of the book available. They will then release that version to you for download.
FREE Book Offer
Get my book "Lessons for Landscape Photographers" FREE when you sign up for my monthly newsletter. Lenscraft in Focus, the newsletter that's genuinely helpful.
By subscribing you are agreeing to the privacy terms of this site.
I will never SPAM or share your email!