I am an experienced photographer, but I was looking for a book for a friend who is just starting out and was struggling with everything. At such a reasonable price, and having bought several of Robin's books before, I bought it, liked it, and recommended it to my friend. She has found it enormously helpful and we would both thoroughly recommend it.Source Amazon.co.uk
Although I'm an experienced photographer between intermediate and advanced level it still was very good to read Robin's book and find new tips - things that hadn't been covered by other people before. It's a good way to get myself out of certain bad habits - which I'm sure lots of photographers have!!
As always another excellent and informative book from Robin Whalley and well recommended.
Why does every SLR and Compact System Camera have the same M, A, S and P modes?
The answer is simple; these are the controls demanded by professionals and those who are serious about photography. This is because these settings that allow you to take full control of your camera. They are the “secret” to capturing great photography.
But to use these controls effectively you need to learn the fundamentals of photography. This is where this book will help you:
- You will learn how to use the camera’s aperture to control depth of field, helping you emphasise or hide elements of the photograph.
- Learn how to control the shutter speed to freeze fast moving subjects.
- Understand how to achieve the best exposure and control the “exposure triangle” to select the best aperture, shutter speed or ISO setting.
- Maximise your image quality.
- Learn how to select the best point of focus in your photograph.
- Understand when to use a tripod or monopod in your photography.
- How to understand camera lenses and recognise a high-quality lens from a poor compromise.
- You will also learn the language of photography. Terms such as exposure, shutter speed, ISO, f-stop, focal length, dynamic range and more will all be fully explained.
When you apply the information in this book to your photography, you will improve. It’s packed with helpful advice and guidance that photographers at all levels can benefit from.
This isn’t a book written by someone who knows the theory of photography. The author is an experienced photographer with a passion for helping others learn the craft of photography.
Read this book and learn the foundations for success with your photography.