Lightroom Soft Proofing
Soft proofing is a technique used to evaluate how an image will appear once printed and make any changed necessary so that the print will appear as intended. It’s also the source of a lot of confusion. I regularly receive emails from people having difficulty in achieving prints that match what they see on their computer. In the main, the root cause of their problems can usually be traced back to soft proofing. This short video tutorial demonstrates how to soft proof an image using Lightroom.
Before watching the video, it will help if you understand a few basics about the soft proofing process.
- Before soft proofing, adjust your image so that it appears as you would like the print to appear. Also be sure to use a calibrated monitor or you could be introducing problems.
- Select a suitable paper with which to make your print and ensure you have a printer profile installed. These can usually be downloaded for free from the internet but it’s important that you match the profile to both the paper and printer model. Different models from even the same manufacturer can have vastly different printer profiles. Use a profile for the wrong paper or printer and its most likely that your prints will turn out wrong.
- Configure Lightroom to soft proof using your selected paper and printer profile.
- Create a Soft Proof version of your image so that this can be compared to the original.
- Adjust the Soft Proof version of your image so that it matches (as closely as possible) the original finished image.
- You can now print the soft proofed version of the image. Providing your printer is correctly configured and monitor calibrated, the print should match what you see on the screen.
As you watch the soft proofing video keep these important points in mind.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
You can also watch this video on my YouTube channel. I publish a new video every week, often based on subscribers’ requests and feedback. Subscribe to my YouTube channel now and be sure not to miss future videos.
More Lightroom Tutorials
You’ll find more high quality, free tutorials on my Adobe Lightroom Tutorials page.
Master Lightroom's Develop Module
Everything you need to know about editing your photography in Adobe Lightroom.
30 day, no questions money back guarantee
FREE Book Offer
Get your FREE copy of "6 Steps to Shooting Brilliant Landscape Photography" by subscribing to my monthly newsletter.
Follow the advice in this deceptively simple book to significantly improve your landscape photography. Organised into 6 simple lessons, this valuable and detailed guide provides information that’s often overlooked. In fact, lesson 3 is so obvious that most photographers ignore it completely.
If you want to improve your Landscape Photography fast, follow this book.
- Enter your details using the form on the right. I will then send you an initial email to confirm you’ve entered your email correctly.
- Follow the instruction in my email to confirm your subscription.
- After confirming your subscription I’ll send you a discount code to purchase my book for free. You’ll then be able to download it in your chosen format.
My Promise to You: I will never share or SPAM your email.