Lightroom Sharpening for Small Sensor Cameras
Sharpening your images is essential to show them at their best. This is especially true if you photograph using RAW format. Lightroom is one of the most popular, if not the most popular RAW converter. If you’re using Lightroom you may already know how to use the sharpening tools. But do you know how to use them with small sensor cameras?
Small Sensor Cameras
You are probably aware that different makes and model of camera have different sensor sizes. But are you aware that smaller sensor limitations? Typically, a RAW file from a micro 43 camera will contain more noise than a full frame camera. This is sensor noise and is always present, even when using your camera at its base ISO, but may not be visible. Unless you take special care when sharpening you can easily sharpen the sensor noise causing it to become visible. This is to be avoided.
Lightroom Sharpening Tools
Lightroom provides three sharpening tools:
- Output sharpening found under the Print module. This is applied when you produce a print or generate an output image.
- Selective or creative sharpening. Here you apply additional sharpening to selected areas of your image. This is done using the Sharpness slider in the selective adjustment tools such as the Brush and Gradient Filter.
- Capture or RAW sharpening. These tools are found in the in the Detail panel in the Develop module. It’s critical you get this sharpening right or you could cause problems that can’t be corrected later.
Now Watch the Video
In this short video you can see how the Lightroom Sharpening tools work. The video explains the different sharpening sliders in the Detail panel and how to avoid common problems associated with small sensor cameras.
And don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel – it’s free.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
You can also watch this video on my YouTube channel. I publish a new video every week, often based on subscribers’ requests and feedback. Subscribe to my YouTube channel now and be sure not to miss future videos.
More Lightroom Tutorials
You’ll find more high quality, free tutorials on my Adobe Lightroom Tutorials page.
The Photographers Guide to Image Sharpening in Lightroom
The best way to master sharpening in Lightroom + FREE video course.
30 day, no questions money back guarantee
Buy now or learn more...
Subscriber Book Offer
Get your FREE copy of "6 Steps to Shooting Brilliant Landscape Photography" by subscribing to my monthly newsletter.
Follow the advice in this deceptively simple book to significantly improve your landscape photography. Organised into 6 simple lessons, this valuable and detailed guide provides information that’s often overlooked. In fact, lesson 3 is so obvious that most photographers ignore it completely.
If you want to improve your Landscape Photography fast, follow this book.
- Enter your details using the form on the right. I will then send you an initial email to confirm you’ve entered your email correctly.
- Follow the instruction in my email to confirm your subscription.
- After confirming your subscription I’ll send you a discount code to purchase my book for free. You’ll then be able to download it in your chosen format.
My Promise to You: I will never share or SPAM your email.